Who We Serve
Serving our Clients, One Family at a Time
CFR has been the leading indigent legal defense provider for parents in child protection cases in family court since 2007 in Manhattan and since 2011 in Queens. In that time, we’ve served more than 11,805 families with over 23,610 children.
We work with approximately 2,500 families each year including 750 new clients and consistently prevent more than 55% of our clients’ children from entering foster care; for those who do enter foster care, our representation significantly shortens the length of stay.
- 100% of CFR’s clients are indigent
- 92% are people of color
- 63% are women
- 34% are single parents
- 18% identify as victims of domestic violence
- 27% identify as immigrants
- 30% are or were homeless at some point
- 23% have a mental health diagnosis
- 13% were in foster care themselves
- 33% have a companion criminal case, usually growing out of the same set of events that lead to the family court case
* Data as of July 2022.